Musical Theatre Southwest is holding digital auditions for Trail to Oregon! Originally produced by Starkid Productions. The Trail to Oregon! is a comedic improv musical that parodies the game series, The Oregon Trail. The story follows a family trying to survive on a pioneering adventure across 19th century America. They are met with an antagonistic Bandit along the way that kidnaps their daughter to have as his bride. The family must work through their problems to save her and get their newfoundland or die trying.
Auditioning will consist of sending in a video of yourself performing a 32-bar cut of a song (around 1:30 – 2 minutes), as well as a video of you dancing to the prepared choreography piece.
PLEAE NOTE: Rated PG-13 Strong Language /Implied Nudity and Sexual Themes
All videos must be submitted along with your audition form NO LATER THAN Friday, July 23rd at 6:30pm.
Performance Dates: October 8th – 24th, Friday – Sundays
Rehearsals start August 1st, running Sundays – Thursdays from 6:30pm to 9:30pm.
CALLBACKS will be held on Sunday the 25th from 4pm to 8pm. Please leave that time available as much as possible.
Director, Lando Ruiz
Choreographer, Kale Brown
Music Director, Riley Robinson
Stage Manager, Lindsey Meek
GENERAL AUDITION VIDEO INFO
Here are some general guidelines to follow when creating and uploading your videos for auditions. These videos will remain private, and will not be shown to anyone outside of the audition team.
* Upload your audition videos to your own Youtube channel under Unlisted with the title FULL NAME / VOCAL or CHOREO AUDITION / MTS TRAIL TO OREGON
Example Jay Doe / Vocal Audition / MTS Trail to Oregon
* Set the music loud enough to be heard on the video
* Set your front facing light bright enough to see all of your face and body
* Keep your body in frame as much as possible throughout the entire video
* Slate at the beginning of each of your videos. This means introducing yourself, and the song you’ll be signing for the vocal audition
* HAVE FUN! Do your best!
VOCAL AUDITION INFO
Here is some information specific to your vocal audition.
* Sing whatever showcases your vocal talents the best, with preferably a comedic piece
* Your song should be a 32-bar cut, which is around 1 minute 30 seconds to 2 minutes
* Make sure that your vocals are louder than the music in the song
CHOREOGRAPHY AUDITION INFO
Here is some information specific to your choreography audition.
* Wear something that allows the choreographer to see your body move. No jeans or baggy clothes.
* Make sure you are in a space that you feel comfortable moving in
* Roles are open to all genders, and actors must have excellent comedic timing
FATHER (C2 – A4/B4) – The leader of our pioneer family. He’s like the family dog, whose can-do attitude is more hurtful than helpful. The actor playing this role must have a large vocal range, and the ability to command the stage with high energy.
MOTHER (B flat3 -C4 possible G4) – The matriarch of our pioneer family. She loves her family… though it’s often hard for her to show it. Has to straddle the line between discipline and nurture.
SON -( B3-E4 female or B2-E4 male) The youngest of our pioneer family with a face like apple pie. Traditionally played by a female. He has the natural scientific aspirations of a cat, and an unnatural curiosity about skinny dipping.
DAUGHTER – (G3-D4) The naive ingenue of our pioneer family looking for love on the trail. A rebellious teenager. Fights constantly with her family, though deep down she loves them.
GRANDPA – The senile member of our pioneer family, he is living proof that not everyone ages gracefully. He claims he single handedly banished the lobsters back to the sea, and was honored with his face on the Million-Dollar bill. Strong falsetto preferred. Actor doubles as Cletus, the bandit king’s mistress.
MCDOON / ENSEMBLE – The Bandit King. Rides the Oregon Trail in search of some “old-fashioned lovin'”. So macho that it becomes almost pathetic. Actor doubles as everyone else in the show. Requires strong character choices, and extreme endurance. This role is the theatrical equivalent of running a marathon.
We have taken enhanced health and safety measures—for you, our volunteers, and those working at MTS. You must follow all safety instructions while participating in any project at MTS. Here you can look at a breakdown of our guidelines that everyone at MTS is required to abide by.
* All vaccinated members will be asked to show proof of vaccination before being allowed to remove their masks when entering the building
* All unvaccinated members or those who choose not to provide proof of vaccination will be required to wear a face mask during their visit
* All members are required to wash their hands or use the hand sanitizer provided every time they enter the building, including after any outdoor / smoke breaks
* MTS staff will be responsible for sanitizing all high touch points before and after every rehearsal
* MTS will provide a color coding band system to help individuals understand everyone’s comfort level, including social distancing guidelines
An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people are present. COVID-19 is an extremely contagious disease that can lead to severe illness and death. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, senior citizens and those with underlying medical conditions are especially vulnerable.
By participating at MTS you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19.
We thank you for taking the time to read through this audition call, and look forward to seeing your videos.