Musical Theatre Southwest is hiring for a part-time, independent contractor TECHNICAL DIRECTOR. Come join the MTS family!
We are looking to hire an Independent Contractor for our organization for the remainder of our 2022 season. This position of a Technical Director is to provide technical support to MTS productions, and to maintain the operation and organization of technical equipment as well as the technical and operating storage spaces.
- Provide support to the designers, builders, engineers, technical crew, etc. so that the technical aspects of each production are completed by the deadlines and in a professional and safe manner
- Attend production meetings when applicable
- Attend and oversee technical rehearsals for each production
- Attend and provide leadership for the strike of the technical elements of each production
- Maintain and update the inventory and assessment of the technical equipment
- Coordinate and oversee the repairs of equipment as well as the purchase and receiving of new equipment
- Maintain and update the database of technical manuals
- Maintain the organization and cleanliness of technical spaces
- A graduate, or one seeking, an A.A.S., A.A., or B..A degree (or higher) in Technical Theatre or Theatre Arts; or an equivalent of experience in working in technical theatre (including higher education, community theatre, and/or regional theatre)
- Basic knowledge in all aspects of technical theatre, including lighting, sound, set construction, projection
- If expertise is lacking in one or two areas, then we are looking for someone who is willing to do the work and research to learn
- Ability to meet deadlines, as well as inspire and motivate others to adhere to deadlines
- Passion for the arts
- Project management and organizational skills
- Ability to handle multiple deadlines and/or conflicts in potentially high pressure situations with a friendly and calm demeanor.
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Highly motivated, self starter
- Flexibility and patience
- Skills with Google Suite
- Hours vary depending on the Production Calendar throughout the year
- Hours will increase approximately 2 weeks leading up to opening night of each production, the day of strike at the close of each production, and the week following strike
- Schedule is dictated by the Production Calendar and will be mostly evenings (daytimes occasional and during weekends)
- For months with no productions in tech or performance, hours will decrease significantly and duties will be relegated to attending production meetings (when your attendance isrequired), following up with technical equipment repairs or purchase (when applicable), and keeping technical spaces clean and organized.
- Schedule is flexible here and can be self-determined (except for meetings)
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
Who you are and where you are from matter. We care about what makes you different and
embrace those differences as strengths. Musical Theatre Southwest is committed to welcoming
all people to our theatre. Your race, ethnicity, gender, sexual identity and age are the very
essence which make you who you are, and we want you working with our organization.
Please send letter of interest and resume to the Theatre Manager, Theresa A. Carson, at [email protected]. DEADLINE: Friday, May 6, 2022
Musical Theatre Southwest is looking for set designers and builders for productions of the 2022 season. Come join the MTS family!
- Ability to create a design after reading a play and following the director’s vision (set designer only)
- Ability to bring a design to life (set builder only)
- A knowledge of construction and building; use of power tools; following safety protocol
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team
- Ability to follow a budget
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Resourceful, hardworking, and reliable
Musical Theatre Southwest is looking for property coordinators for productions of the 2022 season. Come join the MTS family! No experience necessary!
- Hunt and pull props from our prop storage
- Conduct research for purchase
- Creatively adapt or alter current props to fit show needs
- Possible thrift store shopping, etc.
- Attend production meetings via Zoom to get director’s feedback on props
Musical Theatre Southwest is looking for wardrobe managers for productions of the 2022 season. Come join the MTS family!
- Assist actors in getting in costume, makeup, and hair, and make sure they are ready to appear on stage
- Assist with fast costume changes backstage
- Check in the next day after each performance to mend costumes and make repairs
- Clean costumes if needed after each weekend for the next weekend’s performances (3 – 4 times; laundry facilities on theatre premises)
- Attend all costume technical rehearsals (3 – 5 rehearsals)
- Attend all performances (9 performances)
Musical Theatre Southwest is looking for backstage crew for productions of the 2022 season. Come join the MTS family! No experience necessary!
- Help with keeping set pieces and props organized backstage
- Move set pieces on and off stage during scene changes
- Assist with costume changes when needed
- At the end of each performance, make sure set pieces and props are back in their “home”
- Attend technical rehearsals (5 – 8 rehearsals)
- Attend all performances (9 performances)
We are looking to hire an Independent Contractor for our organization for the 2022 production of 'Carrie'.
A strong bond with the community is what has made Musical Theatre Southwest what it is today—a community theatre built on the strong traditions of presenting Broadway-style musicals to families from across New Mexico and the nation. From our humble beginnings as a small and fledgling community theatre, we have helped bring laughter, drama and the best voices from around the state to our stages.